Do you need a Director ID?
All directors need to apply for their own director ID. A Director ID is a unique identifier that a director will apply for once. The Director ID will help prevent the use of false of fraudulent identities.
When do you need to apply?
|DATE YOU BECAME A DIRECTOR||DATE YOU MUST APPLY|
|On or before 31 Oct 2021||Apply by 30 Nov 2022|
|Between 1 Nov 2021 and 4 Apr 2022||Within 28 days of appointment|
|From 5 Apr 2022||Apply for Director ID before appointment|
How to apply
- Make sure you have set up myGovID (this is different to the MyGov app)
- Gather your documents (refer to below FAQ’s)
- Complete your application
Follow this link for details instructions from the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS).
If you are unsure if you need a Director ID, please contact us.
We can also help you with step 2 (gathering your documents) by providing you with any ATO documents you need.
Although we are not able to apply on your behalf, if you require assistance please schedule an appointment and we can go through the process with you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What documents do I neeed to set up myGovID?
To set up myGovID, you’ll need at least 2 of the following Australian identity documents that verify your identity:
- Driver’s licence or learner’s permit
- Passport (not more than 3 years expired)
- Birth certificate
- Citizenship certificate
- Medicare card
- Visa (using your foreign passport)
If you have at least 2 of these documents, download the myGovID app at How to set up myGovID
Don’t have at least 2 of these documents? Go to how to apply if you can’t get a myGovID
What documents do I need for the Director ID application?
In additon to your myGovID, to apply online you will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your Director’s ID. This information must relate to you, personally, rather than the company of which you are a director.
You will need
- Your Tax File Number (TFN)
- Your residential address as held by the ATO (we can check this for you)
- Information from 2 documents to verify your identity
Some examples of the documents you can use include:
- Bank account details
- An ATO notice of assessment
- Superannuation account details
- Dividend statement
- Centrelink payment summary
- PAYG payment summary (this is different to your income statement or your PAYF instalment activity statement).